As more shoppers made meals at home this year, retailers offering Certified Angus Beef ® cuts stepped up to fill their plates. They engaged shoppers with social conversations, weekly product features, time-saving meals, in-store promotions and online engagement opportunities.
“Our retailers want customers to know they have the best beef,” David O’Diam, Certified Angus Beef vice president of retail, says. “Social media and weekly ads draw shoppers to the meat case, deli or online store, and that’s where these retailers excel at offering the right cuts and new meal ideas.”
More retailers also dedicated large sections of the case to the brand’s ready-to-cook options. Flavorful offerings for easy meals at home include marinated steaks, gourmet burgers, fresh corned beef, all-beef frankfurters, beef bacon, shaved steak and sausages.
Certified Angus Beef recognized leading retailers for product quality, marketing and sales. Award recipients were named Sept. 23 as part of the brand’s annual conference, held virtually this year. Honorees include:
- DeMoulas Market Basket, Tewksbury, Mass., was named Retailer of the Year. Market Basket offered the beef in weekly flyers, social media and on the website. A summer promotion, television advertising and easy meal solutions helped the retailer also receive Top Retail Average Volume Per Store award for more than 10 stores.
- ShopRite, Edison, N.J., earned Retail Brand Extension Marketer of the Year. ShopRite elevated promotions and customer interest in the Certified Angus Beef ® brand. The beef cuts are offered in weekly ads and in social media.
- Giant Eagle, Pittsburgh, Pa., was named the Retail Value-added Products Marketer of the Year. Giant Eagle added easy meal options for customers, featuring the items in ads and dedicating a cooler to sausages, frankfurters, gourmet burgers, beef bacon, marinated steaks and kabobs.
- Schnuck Markets, St. Louis, Mo., received Retail Marketer of the Year for a Large Chain. The retailer keeps the spotlight on beef in advertising, social media posts and recipes. Seasonal promotions also provide meal ideas for shoppers, elevating their trust in Schnuck Markets for the best beef.
- Almacenes Exito S.A., Envigao, Colombia, received International Retail Chain Marketer of the Year. Carulla stores promote the beef at wine festivals, food shows and customer events. Bold product labeling, weekly flyers and advertising are also part of Carulla’s strategy to reach shoppers.
- MDI/Merchant Distributors, Hickory, N.C., received Retail Distributor Marketer of the Year. MDI helped independent stores elevate their beef offerings and marketing. Staff training and food shows also expanded customer service and solutions.
- Longo’s, Ontario, Canada, received Retail Ecommerce Marketer of the Year. Offering a full selection of fresh cuts, ground beef and convenient meals in store and online helped Longo’s also achieve Top Sales Volume Small Chain Retailer.
- Southeastern Grocers, Jacksonville, Fla., received Retail Rising Star – Large Chain for advertising, social media and meat department training that engage shoppers at Harvey’s, Fresco Y’Mas and Winn-Dixie. Winn-Dixie also achieved the Top Sales Volume Increase, the largest of any retailer for the brand this year.
- Adams Hometown Markets, Chesire, Conn., was named the Retail Rising Star – Small Chain. Social media posts, weekly product promotions and holiday roast giveaways engaged shoppers. Staff training and a meat team contest also elevated conversations with customers and service.
- Fresh Thyme Market, Downers Grove, Ill., received Retail Rookie of the Year for a comprehensive approach to training, custom point-of-sale materials, Steakholder Rewards™ and ecommerce.
- Jumbo Foods, Enid, Okla., was named the Independent Retail Marketer of the Year. The retailer excelled at reaching shoppers with frequent social media posts and custom point-of-sale materials.
- Located in Saipan, Payless Super Fresh received International Independent Retail Marketer of the Year. Weekly ads and social media promote fresh beef, burgers, frankfurters and marinated cuts. Opened in 2019, the store is the first butcher shop of its kind in the market.
- Roche Brothers, Mansfield, Mass., was recognized as the Retail Marketer of the Year – Small Chain. The Steakholder Rewards™ loyalty program, holiday roast promotion and staff training amplify advertising for the brand’s Prime and Natural cuts, as well as easy meal solutions.
- New York Butcher Shoppe, Greenville, S.C., received Specialty Store Marketer of the Year. Each southeast location offers a selection of Certified Angus Beef ® Prime and ready-made meals for customers. Social media, custom signage and roasting tips appeal to shoppers.
Additionally, these retailers and distributors were recognized for leading Certified Angus Beef ® product sales:
- Meijer, Grand Rapids, Mich. – Top Sales Volume Large Chain Retailer
- DeKalb Farmers Market, Decatur, Ga. – Top Sales Volume Single Store Retailer
- El Rancho Market, Phoenix, Ariz. – Top Retail Average Volume Per Store – Less than 10 stores
- Amigos Meat, Chicago – Top Sales Volume Retail Distributor
- Topco Associates, Elk Grove Village, Ill. – Top Sales Volume Cooperative
Who is Certified Angus Beef?
The original Angus beef brand. Based in Wooster, Ohio, and owned by family farmers and ranchers, we’re more than just Angus beef. Only the very best makes our cut. We set strict standards to certify every bite is tender, juicy and full of flavor, whether you’re cooking at home or dining at the best steakhouse. It’s why we’re the world’s most trusted beef brand and have been since 1978. For more information, visit CertifiedAngusBeef.com, follow the brand on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and LinkedIn, or join the brand’s Steakholder Rewards™ loyalty program.